For our American patients and friends, today is Thanksgiving.
Keeping in mind that today is typically full of food and fun shared with family and friends, I wanted to offer a few tips on healthy snacking and for when you simply do not feel like "tucking in" a big meal. Instead, consider enjoying the conversation and fellowship at the dinner table today and don't force yourself to eat when you do not want to do so.
These healthy snacking tips will help you to "feed" your healing as you go through cancer treatment.
To find out additional information about Issels and our cancer treatment programs, I invite you to visit our website to read more.
Ilse Marie Issels
Wife and Collaborator of Dr. Josef Issels, Our Founder
It's important to eat a healthy diet to keep your body and immune system strong. But when you have cancer, there may be times when you don't feel like eating. You may be too nauseated by traditional cancer treatments to eat. Stress and anxiety can also cause loss of appetite and nausea.
There are no hard and fast nutrition rules for cancer patients. It is common for appetites to fluctuate during cancer treatment. The key is to be flexible and maximize nutrition when you do feel like eating.
Cancer Care Snacking Tips
Try these healthy snacking tips to find out what works for you:
- Eat your main meal when your appetite is biggest. Many cancer patients prefer a big morning meal and smaller or liquid meals at lunch and dinner.
- Try sipping protein shakes or smoothies when you don't feel like eating.
- Use powdered or liquid meal replacements to boost calorie and protein intake.
- Make sure you drink plenty of liquids to stay hydrated.
- Eat the foods you can, even if it is just one or two foods. Add additional foods as your appetite improves.
- Have small, frequent snacks instead of regular meals.
- Keep snack foods in easy reach so you can nibble when you're hungry.
- Choose high-calorie, nutrient-rich foods to maximize nutrition when you do feel like eating.
- Change the form of a food to make it more appetizing. Mix fruit and vegetables into a smoothie instead of eating them whole.
Avoid the debilitating side effects of traditional cancer treatments. Contact us for information about non-toxic alternative cancer treatments that have resulted in our unique record of complete, long-term remissions of advanced and standard therapy-resistant cancers.
We invite you to contact one of our patient care specialists today to chat about how the Issels immunobiologic core treatment program may be the right choice for your health needs. We invite you to phone 1-888-447-7357 or visit us online at www.Issels.com.