Eating Tips for All Phases of Cancer Treatment
Proper nutrition is the foundation of good health, and it becomes even more important if you have received a diagnosis of cancer. Unfortunately, side effects of the disease and its treatment interfere with your eating plan at a time when you need it the most.
How can you overcome the challenges of eating well during cancer care? Here are some tips to guide you through each phase.
• Talk to your doctor or a nutritionist about recommended foods and dietary supplements.
• Start following a healthy diet immediately to boost your strength and reduce chances of infection.
• Stock your kitchen with easy-to-prepare foods, including items like soup and broth that you can eat even when you're not feeling well.
• Consume as much as you can during times when you have the greatest appetite. This will help sustain you during the periods when you don't feel like eating.
• Include protein-rich foods to maintain strength and rebuild tissues.
• Enlist help if you don't feel up to cooking.
• Introduce a variety of foods back into your diet as much as possible for well-rounded nutrition.
• Cook large batches of meals and freeze the extras for future use.
• Reduce or eliminate your consumption of processed foods. Use low-fat preparation methods such as broiling, steaming and roasting.
At Issels®, we take your lifestyle and other individual factors into consideration when developing our personalized immuno-oncology cancer care programs. Contact us for more information about genomic testing, cancer vaccines and other elements of our non-toxic immunotherapy treatments.